The Last Bookshop by Emma Young - Book Review

 “Books can forge a connection, but ultimately relationships are had between human beings, and they deserve a chance.”

 I devoured this novel in one week, and it simply left me staring at the wall, wondering what to do with myself by the end of it — which might sound slightly depressing, but to me, is usually a sign that I just read a damn good book, that has had an impact on me. Frankly, those are the kind of books I thoroughly enjoy reading. Stories that leave their mark. This one certainly meets that criteria.

This story follows the main character, Caitlyn Cooper (mostly referred to as Cait) as she works in her bookshop, Book Fiend. 

It is a story about the inevitability of change, and about how important having good relationships and friendships is, how connection sustains us.

At first, Cait is happy with just her bookshop, her cat, and her regular visits to June, who we can think of as an adopted grandmother. But then, as it often tends to, life grew a little more complicated, after the appearance of ‘Mystery Shopper’. Then, the industry around the bookstore changes too, and Cait faces a difficult decision. However, an unlikely band of allies make sure that Cait isn’t alone as she faces the inevitable.

source: Kobo (Pinterest)
I felt that the early chapters, whilst written well, were a tad slow at times, which normally isn’t my jam. However, what kept me going is the relationships Cait had with her “mobile clients”, and how they were forged through a shared love of books. In particular, I found her close and meaningful relationship with June and June’s character very endearing and compelling. I felt that chapters 20 onwards were quite gripping, and at times, though I felt I needed to have a break, I couldn’t put it down! Emma Young really captured the pure essence of bookstores and how they differ from online stores and brands like Amazon, and why they are treasured. She tackles the sad reality that not all people in our society give the same value to books and bookstores in general — some are just money hungry.

I recommend this book to fellow bookworms, especially if you’re looking to slow down, just sit, and read.

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

Until next time,

Sabry.

Comments