The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - A Book Review

Wow.

That's the word that comes to mind as I think about the book I just read.

This book was all parts equally revolting, scary, at times disgusting  - but ultimately, super captivating. Every time I wanted to put the book down, I just couldn't. And that is how I have come to the completion of a second book in two weeks. 

I suppose after such statements, I should indeed, start with the synopsis.

.......


"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her - her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building    a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy.

.......

It is immensely difficult to write this without providing any spoilers, but, the narrative point of view is insane and caught me off guard immediately, from the first page, making the story even more captivating, and un-put-downable. 

To start off, I would like to say that, in my opinion, this story is definitely not for anyone under the age of 13. It is a confronting story, and at times, downright terrifying. I'd classify it as a psychological crime novel, if that's even a thing. It is definitely not for the faint of heart, and I really really wish that Alice had included a good old trigger warning at the start. You know, so that we don't feel like throwing up by page 14. So, consider this my trigger warning to you. If you've experienced any kind of domestic or sexual violence or assault or you know someone who has and that has impacted you, I encourage some serious self care before, during, and after reading this book, and taking breaks, if you decide to read this book. 

“Nothing is ever certain.”

The story follows Susie's murder, and her grief-stricken family. "Nothing is ever certain" becomes a mantra for the family, who still hold on to some faint hope that maybe their daughter and their sister might return. I really sympathized with the family, especially Susie and Lindsey's little brother, Buckley, who was then too young and innocent to understand what was going on. It was heartbreaking to read Buckley asking the questions young kids tend to ask, such as "Where is Susie?" 

The story is immediately compelling - in the first 10 pages, Alice tells us that our main character is already dead and who did it. Seems like Alice played all her cards, right? Wrong.

“He wore his innocence like a comfortable old coat.” 

Susie is a compelling character, and one we immediately sympathize with. She has died at only 14 years old, with a life unfulfilled, at the hands of a serial killer who has killed so many times and never gotten caught, that he starts to believe he is innocent. Seriously twisted, but all the more reason to keep reading. I cannot express my hatred for Mr. Harvey adequately in words. 

I feel that the story also illustrates that everyone handles grief differently. Susie's father stays put. Susie's mother runs away. Lindsey takes on a mothering role towards herself and her brother, and to an extension, her father. 

Again, it is quite hard to explain the book without providing any spoilers, but it really goes to show how grief can break apart a family but also bring it closer.

Personally as a woman reading this novel, it made me fear for my own safety. Because stories like these do not only happen in fiction books, but unfortunately, in the real world too. Yes, the victims can be both male and female. Yes, men are not immune to assault and/or domestic violence. But as a woman, I can tell you I avoid public transport alone at night, because I'm scared of something similar happening. I can tell you I pray for every woman I see walking in the street alone. I can tell you I'm relieved if she has a dog with her. And I believe there is a reason if a lot of women feel this way. 

I feel that the ending of the story is half satisfying because Susie's family has endured such an awful thing, but I don't feel that Susie gets the justice I was hoping she'd get.

I honestly don't know what to rate this book, overall.  I'd rate it a 5/5 for how compelling it is. A 5/5 for the narrative point of view. Would I recommend it? Yes, to build awareness about some of the shit that a lot of women (and men) are susceptible to. But at the same time, I'm still staring at my wall, trying to digest the book I just read. It's definitely a story that leaves its mark.

I hope you've enjoyed this review and that I haven't given too many spoilers.

Until next time,

Sabry.
 



Comments